Tuesday, June 24, 2008

05.31.08 Team photos outtakes (and one keeper)

I haven't had much time for children's portraits lately since I've been gearing up for wedding season and my second business has been keeping me busy. Fairmount Photography is the name of the business I started with my friend Matt. We specialize in event photography and we've also been picking up a couple groups of sports team photos. I know a lot of photographers find that second kind of shooting pretty boring, but I think it's helping me develop different skills. I have to be able to create a good pose with each kid, get a smile and check for any details out of place (shirt untucked, hair in eyes, etc.) very quickly. For the first round of baseball photos it started raining half way through the shoot. So we moved inside to the small, dark club house and created a mini-studio. Matt and I really had to think on our feet to keep everything organized and not let the shoot drag on too long since there were still 6 teams left to shoot when we moved inside. Since the club house had such low ceilings, the 15-16 boys team was too tall for us to shoot their whole body. So we made them kneel and we just shot from the waist up. That of course prompted rude comments from their teammates, but it worked for us because we got a great smile on every boy's face. Here are a couple of my favorite out-takes from while we were getting set up.


And here's my favorite shot:

No comments: